A Young Carer is a child under 18 who regularly helps to look after a family member or friend who is disabled, ill, has a mental health condition or addiction problem.
Children may engage in:
· Practical tasks (cooking, housework and shopping)
· Physical care (lifting or helping someone use the stairs)
· Personal care (dressing, washing, helping with toilet needs)
· Managing the family budget (collecting benefits and prescriptions)
· Managing medication
· Looking after younger siblings
· Helping someone communicate (e.g. translation at doctor’s appointments)
Pinner High School can support young carers. If you, or a family member, needs support please contact the school and ask to speak to Ms. Braiden (Learning mentor). All contact will be treated in the strictest confidence.
For more information on the support available for Young Carers in Harrow, visit https://www.harrowcarers.org/young-carers/